Saturday, August 1, 2009

First One

So, here I am in back at UCSB. Things are going great, albeit a little tiring. I finished up my first two official education classes on Thursday and start 3 new ones on Monday. This is the first time in a few weeks I have had a free weekend to do whatever and just relax and recharge the batteries. On Monday we start a Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm schedule. Needless to say, I am NOT looking forward to that.

Classes are really different than undergrad. There is a bit of reading every night, and some responses, but usually nothing is graded. At least, not yet. Most of the time we just discuss theory about education, which is really tiring, but I find it to be awesome to get other people's perspectives on certain things.

I've met some really cool people. I have found it much easier to get along with classmates since we all have the same goal-- to teach. The female to male ratio is quite ridiculous. Out of the 102 people in the program (that's Special Ed, Elementary, and Secondary) about 89 or so are female. Maybe a little less. But over 80 for sure. There was supposed to be a Happy Hour get together on Thursday. All the girls went to Chili's for Margaritas. About 4 of us guys went to this Pizza place in Isla Vista for some Happy Hour priced pitchers of beer. I think it's going to be important for us to just have a guys night or something every once in a while so as not to get overrun by the sheer abundance of estrogen.

I was supposed to go to NP yesterday for a haircut and pick up supplies, but my hair stylist wasn't working, so I am going in a couple hours. My mom and I are going to see a movie before I come back up. I think I'll be back in the evening.

I need to post up some pics of my surroundings. I have a decent view and if I crane my neck just enough I can see the sun set behind the foothills every day from my window. It's gorgeous.