Monday, August 31, 2009

Week 2, Day 1

And so, week two begins. I am not sure if I prefer last week's schedule or the one that started today. It's nice to be in Journalism, and in other classrooms, but I already miss the kids I had seen in my original Read 180 class.

Journalism is exciting. It is, for the next few weeks, my period 1 class. The teacher is very nice. I also like his teaching style. Very quick, very fun. I am not sure if I'd be able to keep the pace he does in my own classroom, but I'd like to try.

Period 2 is now Read 180. However, instead of being with my CT, I am with another teacher. She's nice as well. It's a little different in her class because it is seventh graders but it is still fun.

It is kind of weird to be gone the last two days of the week. I felt like I was trying to catch up today. Hopefully as time goes on it won't be as hard.

Anyway, today in English 8 we went over the elements of "plot" using Cornell notes. The students took some notes as my CT explained each element (ie climax, resolution, conflict, etc). We also went over apostrophe usage as part of a grammar exercise, and a lesson about Latin roots in modern English. Tomorrow we are going to go over "proposition" and "support." I think we will also be getting into "Letters for Algernon," which is a fun, but long, story. I started to re-read it today. At first, it hadn't sounded familiar, but the more I read the more I was able to recall it. I hope we don't rush through it, just because it is so long that to rush it would be a shame, and I don't think the students will be able to comprehend it as well.

Today's 4pm-7pm class was ED 332B (Children, Families, and Community). It wasn't as bad as I thought. We are going to be learning the affects of relationships on students and how it applies to our jobs as teachers. I am pretty interested in it, so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment