Friday, August 28, 2009

First Week

Remember when I said I was anxious to start the week? It turns out I was so anxious and excited I couldn't fall asleep until about 1:30am. Needless to say waking up was not fun, but I poured myself a tall glass of iced black tea with a touch of lemon and was good to go.

Class itself was fun. Although we did not get our official schedules until Tuesday, so on Monday I ended up helping out my CT and observing a couple other teachers. The first day was not as fun as the other two. I do not know why, but I enjoyed Tuesday and Wednesday a lot more. Perhaps it was my lack of sleep on Sunday night.

Monday night I wrote a letter to my students in English 8, and Tuesday night for homework they wrote me, and my CT, back. I have been reading them the past couple of days and making comments. It is quite humbling that some kids will trust you enough to write the things they do. I will not go into any details, and it's nothing too heavy, but still I was not expecting some of the things they were putting in there.

This week was kind of sit back and see how things go. Although I am trying to be as proactive as I can and want to do as much as I can. I am really excited to be working with the kids in my class. I already feel like I have some of them figured out, but have already been surprised.

So starting next week, my official schedule is as follows:
Per. 1 - Journalism
Per. 2 - Read 180
Per. 3 - Prep/Mentor
Per. 4 - English 8
Per. 5 - Not Assigned (mostly observing other teachers)
Per. 6 - N/A '' ''

Thursdays and Fridays are interesting. We are not on site, but rather on campus at UCSB. Yesterday we had our first master's class, and to be honest, it kind of scared me. Coming up with a topic to write on for my research feels a little scary/sketchy right now. I am definitely not too confident, but I am going to try. I would really like to get my master's at the end of all this.

Friday was our first content/methodology class. I am not sure how I feel about it at this point. I know it will be very useful, but I also feel it will be more of another source of work, which is not appealing in the least.

I got some more shirts and ties to wear to school so I can switch things up a bit. I will not have to wear the same 3 shirts every week now. That's actually the highlight of my week, sad as it may sound. :o)

I know I should be updating this every day, but I get so tired. When I get home I just want to sleep. I will give it my best effort though.

No comments:

Post a Comment